Posts for: August, 2017
Tendonitis is an inflammation of a tendon, a cord of fibrous collagen tissue that attaches muscle to bone. Without proper treatment, tendonitis can increase your risk of experiencing tendon rupture — a serious condition that may require surgical repair. Dr. Mathew John of Ankle & Foot Centers, which is located in Marietta, GA, offers treatments for tendonitis. Read on to learn about treatment options for tendonitis.
1. Medications- Your doctor may recommend a prescription medication to treat tendonitis. Taking ibuprofen, naproxen, or aspirin may relieve pain associated with tendonitis. Topical gels or creams with anti-inflammatory medication are also effective in decreasing pain.
2. Steroid Injections- The injections usually comprise a local anesthetic and corticosteroid medication. Cortisone injections are often used to treat tendonitis because they work quickly to reduce the swelling and pain.
3. Physical Therapy- Physical therapy is an effective treatment for tendonitis. Your program may include therapeutic exercises, in which you gradually strengthen the muscles, stopping at the first sign of pain. You may also work into easy stretching exercises, done several times a day.
4. A Splint- You may receive a splint to protect the area and limit movement. Usually the first step of treatment, since it allows the overused tendons to rest and thus decrease inflammation. While you use a splint, you can continue other treatments with medication, orthotics, or physical therapy.
5. Surgical procedure- Most cases of tendonitis can be successfully treated with physical therapy, rest, and medications. Surgery is only rarely needed for severe problems not responding to other treatments.
Tendonitis can affect your day-to-day activities and make life frustrating and miserable. Call Ankle & Foot Centers at 770-977-3668 right now to schedule an appointment in Marietta, GA. Get your life back on track by receiving the best treatment available.