Posts for tag: plantar fasciitis
How your podiatrist in Marietta, GA, can help with plantar fasciitis pain
Do your heels hurt? If so, you could be suffering from plantar fasciitis. Plantar fasciitis is a condition that is common among runners and joggers, but you don’t have to be an athlete to experience it. The condition is caused by the large band of tissue running across your heel, the plantar fascia, becoming inflamed.
Fortunately, your podiatrist can help with plantar fasciitis pain. Dr. Mathew M. John at Ankle & Foot Centers in Marietta, GA, offers a full range of podiatry services, including treatments for plantar fasciitis. Read on to learn how he can get you back on your feet again!
More about plantar fasciitis
How can you tell if you have plantar fasciitis? There are a few common signs and symptoms of the condition, including:
- Stabbing heel pain or pain around the side of your foot
- Increased pain after waking up
- Increased pain after rising or standing up
- Increased pain after exercising
You are at increased risk of acquiring plantar fasciitis if you:
- Are overweight
- Have flat feet
- Are 40 to 60 years old
- Run or jog
- Wear worn-out, unsupportive shoes
- Walk or stand on hard surfaces for long periods of time
- Overpronate or roll your foot when you are walking
Sometimes plantar fasciitis pain can resolve itself with the help of a few simple steps. You can try:
- Placing ice packs on your foot several times during the day
- Doing arch stretches several times each day
- Taking over-the-counter anti-inflammatory and pain medications
- Changing to supportive shoes and avoiding going barefoot
For severe plantar fasciitis pain that isn’t relieved with home therapies, it’s best to seek out the help of an expert. Your podiatrist, Dr. John, may recommend:
- Custom orthotics or custom footwear
- Physical therapy and stretching exercises
- Prescription-strength anti-inflammatory medications
- Extracorporeal shock wave therapy or ESWT
Need heel pain relief? Give us a call!
Plantar fasciitis doesn’t have to keep you on the couch. You can get relief with help from your podiatrist. For more information about plantar fasciitis treatment and other foot care solutions, call Dr. Mathew M. John at Ankle & Foot Centers in Marietta, GA, today. Dial (770) 977-3668 now and help your feet!